Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Holiday Hot Cocoa Gift Set - Craftwell DT Project

Hi Everyone!

I think hot cocoa gift sets make for the best neighbor gifts for the winter holidays. Well, unless your neighbor is allergic to chocolate... Luckily for me, mine aren't!  

Using my eBosser, I created a hot cocoa gift bag and an etched glass snowflake mug for a neighbor of mine. You may already have most of these supplies on hand! The glass mug was very inexpensive, I bought it at the local dollar store. It was (yep you guessed it!) one dollar! Not really breaking the bank there but shhhh... don't tell my neighbor!
 
Supplies:
-eBosser by Craftwell
-Dies: Spellbinders Shapeabilities Create A Flake Two; Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels One
-Stamp: Penguin Coolness by Unity Stamp Company
-Ink: Multipurpose water based pigment ink in Real Black by VersaCraft
-White Fabric
-Cooler Concepts Dark T-Shirt Transfer Film
-Digital Paper - Frosty by Lori Whitlock (available at JessicaSprague.com)
-2 Small Safety Pins
-Adhesive
-Twine
-Jute Bag
-Scissors
-Printer/Ink/Computer
-Iron
-Glass Mug
-Contact Paper
-Armour Etch Glass Etching Cream
-Vinyl Gloves/Sponge Brush/Glasses
- hot cocoa packets / candy canes

Hot Cocoa Gift Bag
Hot Cocoa Gift Bag
-Using my eBosser, I cut out the 3 1/4 inch label die in white fabric and then stamped the Penguin stamp in black ink. I printed out two patterned digi papers onto dark t-shirt transfer film and then ironed them onto white fabric. Then I cut out the snowflake dies from the patterned fabric using the eBosser. And stamped the "you're so cool" banner onto the patterned fabric and using scissors, cut around the outline. Now it's time to put everything together! I took an empty jute bag and attached the penguin fabric label to the bag with 2 small safety pins in opposite corners. Using a little bit of adhesive, I attached the "you're so cool banner" to the top of the stick on the stamped image. Then I attached the diecut snowflakes to the bottom and left of the bag with some adhesive. I used glue dots, but a small amount of fabric glue may work as well. Just make sure not too use to much glue or adhesive because you don't want it to stick the inside of the bag together. I placed a hot cocoa packet and 2 candy canes in the bag and tied some twine around the top to finish the gift bag.

Snowflake Mug
Snowflake Mug
- First I cut out the snowflake die in my eBosser with a piece of square contact paper. Next I adhered the outer piece of the snowflake contact paper onto a clean glass mug and also the inside star piece. You won't need the actual snowflake diecut piece. (See pic).
 -After smoothing out the bubbles and making sure not to touch the glass inside the snowflake cut out, I put the armour etch glass cream onto the mug inside the snowflake and waited 5 minutes and then washed it off. Now there's a beautiful etched snowflake on the mug! (see pic)
-Make sure to wear vinyl gloves (so the cream won't touch your skin) and glasses (so you don't get any into your eyes) when using the glass etching cream and follow all manufacturer's directions and warnings. This is not a project for the kiddo's.
 
My local dollar store doesn't always have the glass mugs in stock, so when I do see them I pick up a few to keep on hand for projects and gifts since they are so inexpensive. The etching cream is a little pricey but there is more than one brand available now, so do shop around to get the best bargain! When using the etching cream, like I said above, do follow the manufacturer's instructions and warnings. Stamping on fabric is easy, but make sure that your fabric is on top of a piece of scrap cardstock so the ink doesn't seep through the fabric onto your table or tablecloth! (That may or may not have happened to me once....)

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Let me know, have you tried to die cut fabric with your eBosser yet? It's really simple to do and it gives projects a nice texture!

Have a great day!
- Kim

1 comment:

  1. I totally love this gift. I think the little burlap bag with the penguin is adorable and the mug is elegant. I think I'm going to have to try that etching technique. It looks a lot easier than I thought.

    ReplyDelete